Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: What tapes stood the test of time best?

Hi All,

I've read the original question and the responses up to this point.

Teresa is right - there should not be any significant degradation in instances of proper care: sound should be intact for a period exceeding the lifetime of one human at least - this is abundantly clear to many including me as many of my tapes now enter their 30th year with not one iota of fall-out, binder failure, other particle loss etc. Tapes of this vintage that sound as if they were recorded yesterday are BASF Chome Dioxid/Super, Maxell LN, UD-XLII, Sony UCX and UCX-S and many others. Highs are unaffected by age. If somehow they are exposed to a magnetic field, then there has been inappropriate safeguarding of the tape from this particular risk. Heat, wet and dirt are also probelematic as are solvents etc. The same applies incidently to optical media - do not expose them to similar contaminants - fortunately magnetism is not one of them but airborn pollutants and aerosols of various sorts are more problematic for CDs than tapes.

The better Pioneer decks feature FLEX circuitry which will accurately restore upper band frequency loss according to a standardised algorithm known as the 1-f frequency curve. This is based on the theory that all music signals amplitude drops in direct proportion to the increase in the frequency. NAD and Yamaha's play trim also attempts to manually provide correction for losses on tapes that fail to meet this curve by lifting upper frequency amplitudes variably in advance of the bais trap and NR circuits. This remedy is usually only necessary for those tapes damaged by ambient dirt, moisture, heat in cars etc - and in my experience these are almost always pre-recorded tapes.

Marc

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: What tapes stood the test of time best? - MHugo 08:35:57 01/27/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.