Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Hi.. also a newbie, but one observation..

I just bought my first deck (Revox A77) and have virtually no tech. exp. to part out any wisdom.. alhough i did just go through the process of a similar descision.

My question for you would basically be: what do you plan on using the deck for? I'm not positive about the Teac deck you mentioned, but the Akai can only take up to 7" reels. Now, again, i'm no expert, but that will only give you a max. of an 1800' spool and respectively, 96 min. recording time per side at 3.75 speed and 48 min. at 7.5.

I bought my deck to record my lps and one of the reasons i chose the A77 was because it handles 10.5" reels -- max. with 3600' spools of tape at 192 & 96 minutes per side at 3.75 & 7.5 speed respectively.

That's essentially 6 LPs plus at the economy rec. level and 3 Lps per side plus at best quality versus 3 plus LPs per side and 1.5 Lps per side in high quality with 7" reels. Seeing as decks that play the bigger reels acomodate 7" tape as well.. i just wouldn't limit yourself.

I'm not sure if the Teac you mentioned can only handle the smaller reels.. other inmates can jump in and provide that info. for you.. but i think as it sounds like an older, 1960's unit by its model number, i'm guessing that it will also be a 7" max. deck.

What i'm saying is i would hold out and look for a deck that handles the larger 1/4" tape.. they're not hard to find and still come cheap depending on the desirabilty of the unit. I also had a couple friends and nice inmates offer me older decks that only handled the smaller reels for very inexpensive prices. but after doing my research and figuring out what i wanted my deck for, i felt very strongly that using the bigger reels was something that i definetly wanted.

I have also heard that Teacs have a reputation for running like tanks when set up correctly and that their replacement parts are easier to find than most. Also, IMHO, if you're going to have someone refirb it for you, get the best deck possible. Why pay close to the same amount, if not the same amount to get an okay/limited deck up to spec. when for a little more $$ up front, you can have a really solid, versatile machine serviced and have all the features you'll need for years and years to come? e.g. I had a tech restore a cute little Allied-Knight EL84 based tube amp refirbed and while it's an overachieving little unit.. it's not gonna appreciate in desireability and value. I now collect mainly Fisher gear and $$ or parts i put into these units is going to reward me down the road in both quality of function and appreciate with value over time. Just my $0.02 on this.

If the arrangment with your buddy is going to essentially be a cost free, good into exp. into RTR, than go for the good deal with him if you want.. you just sound like you want that one solid deck to record LPs on and not have to want for more recording time and features in a few short months.

What would be killer with a nice silver faced Pioneer receiver would be the Pioneer RT-909.. They're beautiful and supposedly really nice machines. They unfortunately are one of the most sought after RTR decks i've noticed on eBay and elsewhere -- so expect to layout $500-600 for one, unrestored.. Which is kinda nuts. Maybe there's another nice Pioneer that handles the bigger reels. RT-707 go for less, but they only take the 7" reels.

Good luck with the whole process man.. and keep us posted on your progress. The guys here don't post as often as on the VA, but i've gotten some really helpful tips form these guys and they're a nice bunch.

Good luck! Marc

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Hi.. also a newbie, but one observation.. - marc-homeslice 08:34:37 01/26/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.