Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

NEWB here looking into a R2R for first time

I am thinking of adding a R2R to my Vintage Pionee SA-9100 based system. And two opertunities have come up.

the first Local

A TEAC A-1040S (unseen yet) with manual and reported to be in VERY good condition and very well taken care of but not I'm sure used in many years. $75.00 local about 50minutes away

The second is from a friend

Akai GX-220 the guy who has it is a big vintage stereo collector he's not used it in a while and will completely check it out to make sure it's in working condition before we close the deal. Cost will be shipping and the trade of a Camera lens worth approx. $60.00

Now the Akai if it is in working condition is really a no brainer this guy will pack it to survive a hurricane and I have no need of the camera lens. Shipping will run around $50.00 I'm going to assume.

What I would like to know is either of these machines if in similar condition a better choice?

The TEAC is a little nicer looking unit with the split wood case work.
I not looking for the worlds best R2R I'm a vinyl guy big time. But I am putting together a Scott 233 based Tube system and I was thinking a Nice (granted later era) R2R would make a nice addition to the system as a CD Player just doesn't seam to fit.

I know the TEAC was a very popular model compared to the Akai. but was one or the other a better machine and would one or the other be a better machine to put money/time into fixing up.

I guess that makes some sense!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - NEWB here looking into a R2R for first time - Mark W. 21:50:08 01/25/07 (14)

You can not post to an archived thread.