Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: heard Doc's sampler tape...

Yes, it was NOS 468. We've been negotiating with RMGI to get pancakes in a size that will be usable for the project, but couldn't get it in time for the show. Paul used what he felt was the tape closest sonically to what we will deliver the albums on.

That vintage tape did shed, didn't it? Alon Wolf was running a demo tape pretty much constantly on one of our machines for a couple of days in the Magico room, and Michael had to do a pretty heavy duty machine cleaning by Thursday. On the other hand the machine in the TAD room was only running a demo track maybe once or twice per hour and it wasn't so bad. Anyway, it's another vote against using old tape for anything unless you have no choice. I haven't seen any old 1/4" tape lately that didn't shed to some degree, even 111. But so far we have found the sample we have of the new formula 468 to be clean and very nice sounding.

I'm afraid I was going in nine directions at once for most of the show. Setup in the TAD room where I also installed four preamps was very complex and took all day Sunday. Then we did an installation of our backup tape system in the Magico room, during the show. On top of that there were lots of meetings, I had to build a website at the last minute, and I had to leave Thursday morning. Sorry that I didn't run into you, and a lot more folks I know. One of my regrets was not making it down to the E.A.R. room. I'm sure it sounded great.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.