Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: advice

On these old FRAGILE tapes;1. NEVER fast forward or rewind them! Only play them through at play speed (on 1/4 track, play Side A, flip them over and play side B). 2. Make sure both reels are the same size and weight and have the same hub diameter. 3. Make sure each tape has ample leader/timing tape on the head and tails (6 seconds) 4. Make sure all tape guides, heads, capstans and pinch roller are clean and aligned properly (the tape wrap on both reels should be tight-smooth and not scrambled wound- the pancake should be smooth as you run your finger across it. Invest in a Nortronics or Ampex tape head demagnatizer (you can find them on ebay). Get some Propanol (Stabyl gas additive at the auto-parts store) to clean the heads and guides with. Don't use Freon-TF! Also invest in a FULL TRACK azimuth alignment test tape made at the highest speed you deck operates at. Also never rewind this test tape-only at play speed. Rewinding and fast forwarding is very hard on these tapes. Good luck! Ray
"I take you as you are
And make of you what I will,
Skunk-bear, carcajou, bloodthirsty
Non-survivor.
Lord, let me die but not die out." THE LAST WOLVERINE by James Dickey

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: advice - grhughes 08:31:20 01/11/07 (1)
    • More... - grhughes 06:35:55 01/12/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.