Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Tape or CD?

Well, First of all archiving FM seems a little impractical. All the compression involved on FM broadcasts means a lot of boom and hiss no matter what you record on! I would agree that the cassette hardware is becoming more and more of a pain. As the hardware gets older there is more failure. But the medium(the tape itself)has proven to be very durable, much more so than people ever thought.

I have an entirely different take on casual, fun, hands on recording that is also accurate and durable. Use MINIDISC! It's as much fun as recording to tape. It sounds exactly like it's source especially from analog sources. No wow and flutter or dropouts. It can later be transferred to CD, tape or whatever. The Minidisc medium is durable because it has it's own protective shell. It is the easiest medium to edit. You can move, delete, combine, or erase. It is a compressed format(ATRAC)but you honestly could never tell by the sound! Just stick in a minidisc and record. It will automatically track if there are gaps between songs or you can do it manually later. There is nothing else that offers the best features of any other recording medium in my opinion. I think we missed out when the minidisc failed to become a big item in the states. Good Luck! Franksta

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Tape or CD? - Franksta 16:28:07 12/31/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.