Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Why I like cassettes -A Christmas Story-sort of

I've always had a fascination with the physics and electronics regarding audio recording. It was just amazing to me the concept of aligning all those little bar magnets on a piece of plastic and getting music. Cassettes allowed me explore that fascination without the size and space required for RTR machines, no offense, and I like the actual act of recording something. I also like to work on them, fix them and try to eek out every bit of performance I can. I thought I was the only one with this passion for an all but obsolete format but after spending time on this forum I realize I am not alone. I understand the limitations of this format and can I deal with them. As far as the Christmas part of this story, my kids have searched ebay and have given me music that is no longer available and will be wonderful to listen to. So with that being said, this is why I like cassettes:
1) The first truly convenient HiFi(?) format. In your home, in your car, in your shirt pocket, at your friends and in your walkman. I still have mine, use it all the time. Boy do I get the looks.
2) That glorious analog sound. Not like vinyl but a lot better than a lot of digital I've heard. When there good they are really good, but they can be very bad.
3) As a format, the incredible amount of technology that was designed to get every bit of performance out of a dictating tape to make it acceptable as a high quality sound source.
4) The amazing amount of equipment that is now available to enjoy this format. From dirt cheap to way too expensive.
5) Last but not least, the amazing amount of music that is no longer available that can be found and enjoyed once again, especially classical music.
I know the format has many who think it is unacceptable and I understand and respect your point of view. To cassette and tape lovers everywhere: MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR! JUST LISTEN TO THE MUSIC.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Why I like cassettes -A Christmas Story-sort of - oldglide 14:05:11 12/20/06 (10)

You can not post to an archived thread.