Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

I used Tandberg, Revox, and Teac back in the '70's...

...and I would rank them in that order. The difference was electronics....the Teacs were/are the most reliable transports and controls of the three by far. But electronically, the Tandberg had the broadest and flattest frequency respons, the Revox (A77 HS) had an equalization curve that dropped 5db by 20khz, and the Teach overloaded the input amplifiers at high frequencies far below 0 db point. Despite that, I use a Teac 7030SL still today to play back 15ips master tapes made during that era, and I still use a Teac 4070 in my audio system for playback of 7.5ips 7" tapes. Neither machine has ever given me a bit of trouble or required repair or even realignment in thirty-five years of service. It is hard to top that.

That said, my Ampex 440 blew them all away in the 70's and given my current crop of pro tape machines, the Otari MTR-12 bests even the Ampex 440. Basically, both better transport and more extended frequency response...the electronics are about equal.
Harry

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I used Tandberg, Revox, and Teac back in the '70's... - theaudiohiffle 17:09:23 12/17/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.