Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Master tape resources?

We are in a unique position in that Paul has a reputation for care in handling that may allow him access to original tapes that might not otherwise be made available to licensees except in transfer form. But there is no set way that a master will come to us. The idea that someone tracks the number of times a master is played is nice, but not a reality AFAIK unless it is a running master used in duplication.

Our first release will be our own Jacqui Naylor album. And so we know the history of the tape intimately, right down to the debit card number I bought the tape with.

Our second release has about the same level of familiarity in that Keith Johnson recorded it on his amazing custom machine, and Keith Johnson and his machine were present this week when the running master was made from the original recording playing back on that machine, onto Paul's 1" ATR.

There will be several other titles coming in soon that I can't talk about in detail yet, except to say that as far as I know they will be made from original tapes unless we could only get a transfer. Some of these are coming from a long established major label, others from well known independent labels. There is no real way to judge condition other than to play the tape. Paul tells me that some of the older recordings from the 50's/60's that are on Scotch 111 and the like are in much better shape than stuff from the 70s on Ampex 456. Without a doubt some great stuff has been lost to the ravages of time.

I do hope to be able to give a lot of info about the recording and mastering of any title we release. The plan is to include a booklet that slips between the two reels in the slipcover, containing liner notes. As to details about how we secured the rights to a given title, we are reluctant to supply the gory details of the things grown men will stoop to to get what they want.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Master tape resources? - Doc B. 13:22:43 12/17/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.