Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Behringer mixers

Hi there.

Sure they're not as good as some mixers made over a decade ago. They're also much better than some mixers made over a decade ago. There was some good stuff, but they also made some utter crap in the 80s and 90s. Just like now. Depends on what you're comparing them to. If you're comparing the Behringer mixers to the Peaveys or similar middle-range mixers of 10-20 years ago, they're sonically a bit better overall, but not as heavily built. But then again, you couldn't touch a decent new 16 channel mixer for $200 10 years ago. But yeah, they're not a Neve, or a Soundcraft, or Midas, or Allen & Heath. But they're a tiny fraction of the cost. For someone on a budget, they're a steal.

And yes, the knobs can be fiddly to work with, but how else can you fit 16 channels into a rackmount board with EQ on all channels, etc.? You gotta make the controls smaller to fit. Or buy a board with fewer channels.

As for aesthetic value, I personally don't put a big value on it. For me, it's a tool. If it does the job well, color & style, etc. aren't that big a concern for me. I happen to like the style of their equipment anyway, but different strokes for different folks.

"They also look like they'd break if they fell a few feet." - I wouldn't wanna drop a $10,000 Midas console either. I'm guessing unless the gods are smiling on you, any mixer would be FUBAR if you dropped it from a few feet.

"Any good audio specifications, which will probably degrade after a reasonably amount of use, are offset by their other poor qualities." - Speaking from a lot of experience, that's not the case.

"Of course, people have become accustomed to cheap and cheesy poor quality merchandise, from home audio systems to modern-day automobiles" - This is true. I personally wouldn't call their equipment cheesy, especially for the money. Even the little pocket-sized UB502 mixer has a hefty feel and good build quality. And it can be had new for about $40.

I'm just speaking from my own personal experience. Your mileage may vary.

Cheers & happy holidays,
Bobbo :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Behringer mixers - soundnut 10:36:43 12/15/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.