Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: More problems with Maxell than TDK?

HI Bobp,

The Maxell XLII-S, XLII, UDII and UDI I have presently are all made in the UK at the maxell Europe plant in Apley, Telford. I have been using them since 2001 and haven't had a days hassle. Especially the XLII-S, these are my reference type IIs for demo items on Dolby S - thye are faultless. I ahve recorded many live progressive rock shows using the British XLII on a Tascam 112/1. Top flight - no glitches.

You might have stiff shells on occasion I have heard with the British units but this happens if the shells are packed too fast. It still will not generate any shell sources modulation noise or scrape flutter components.

The TDK from Europe (Luxembourg to be exact)are fine I have found although there were reports that date back about four to five years ago than some batches would not calibrate properly because the shells were imprecise mouldings. This was verified by two very reliable sources on the Nakamichi user group. In one case a perfectly tuned ZX-9 had to be calibrated seperately for side A and B.

However, these no longer seem to be the case at all. European SAs that I have used lately are as fine as ever and a perfect clone for the far-east one which is in any case assembled in Thailand.

Good luck - Marc

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: More problems with Maxell than TDK? - MHugo 06:13:33 12/15/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.