Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

A mixer is the single WORST device you could send an audio signal through...

But the main reason why is that manufacturers are out to see if the public will accept lower quality. To make something of high quality takes high quality parts and an attention to detail that requires time. Time is money. They are also obsessed with volume sales to jive with their idea of profit returns. So marketing issues win out over quality. So everything is mounted to a circuit board that a robot can assemble. It has cheap carbon track or cermet pots and switches that are tiny and will not suffer very much abuse. Go price a Neve 1072 module that was built in the 60s by hand with its 17 position rotary switches and precison resistors. Bet you can't find one because they are cherished! The better recordings of our lifetime were made with them. There is no substitute for quality. Ray Hughes
"I take you as you are
And make of you what I will,
Skunk-bear, carcajou, bloodthirsty
Non-survivor.
Lord, let me die but not die out." THE LAST WOLVERINE by James Dickey

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • A mixer is the single WORST device you could send an audio signal through... - grhughes 13:50:59 12/14/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.