Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Nak 600 (long)

This is some advice from someone who has re-built over 2 dozen Nak 600s. First, my personal preference is the 600II, I have both, better head, response to 20khz vs. 18khz on the 600, improved transport parts, 2 test tones; 400hz and 10khz vs. only 400hz, headphone jack (none on the 600) and user controls all outside. To correct the other follow-up post, the only op-amp used in a 600II is for the tone generator, the rest of the circuitry is all discreet. The IM distortion circuit is in the 600II only it is non-adjustable. Other than a few differences, these machines are almost identical, except, they sound very different, I credit that to the head and the somewhat better transport parts. Now for the BAD NEWS. 1) The FF/REW arm almost always binds and will not take up or rewind tape, it has to be removed, cleaned and lubed, if it doesn't do it now it's either been fixed or it will do it. 2) The R/P switch must be thoroughly cleaned. 3) These machines have edge connectors and the PC board edge and receiving connector must be cleaned and make sure the fit is tight. 4) The usual cleaning of controls and rubber. Do all this and you will have one sweet sounding deck that will last a long time. Sorry for being so verbose but I think you need to know all the stuff you will encounter with an over 30 yr old deck. Good luck and remember ""600s RULE!!"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.