Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Best Reel to Reel Deck?

The first and best piece of advice I can give you is DON'T BUY THE CHEAPEST DECK YOU CAN FIND.

Good condition, plug-and-play reel to reel decks go for a premium today. That's the bottom line. Expect to pay anywhere between $300-$450 for a *GOOD* 7" reel machine and anywhere from $400-$1000 for a *GOOD* 10" capable. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Sure, decks can be FOUND at considerably lower prices, but we are talking Kennedy and Johnson era machines. Or machines that look more like they've been used as a football.

Or both.

You get yourself some cheap old clunker and the money you thought you were going to save versus buying a comparable 'cherry' deck is going to be lost in time, frustration, and repairs.

-speaking of which: good, qualified R2R repair facilities are getting harder and harder to find. If you are concerned about repairs before you've even made your purchase means you are asking for trouble.

Not that I am biased or anything, but I would have to give a thumbs up to any good cond Teac or Tascam machine. I say that because 1) they have a proven reliablity record, 2) exist in plentiful numbers, and 3) are still to some degree FACTORY supported with parts and service.

You get a Sony, Akai, Technics, or what have you deck that breaks, and you are all but S-O-L. Unless you want to go diving through dusty boxes at second hand electronics stores. Or else buy a whole other deck to gut for parts. And as far as service for those decks, there are any number of merchants out there who CLAIM to have spare parts as well as the expertise to service them. They may or not be trustworthy. You're on your own.

Good luck. I'm sure others here can interject as well.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Best Reel to Reel Deck? - X-2000R 18:47:39 11/19/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.