Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Sticky Shed drier

The food dehydrator is a good way to dry out the tapes, and it's a lot easier than building your own oven, which is what I did. The one very important caution is that you'll want to be sure that it doesn't have any stray magnetic fields which can partially erase the tape with their exposure to it for several hours.

I recommend 125-135 degrees F, and I set mine to 130. This gets the job done a little faster than 115-120, and still isn't hot enough to case damage. For 1/4" tapes, I bake for 4 hours.

You will have anywhere from a couple weeks to maybe a month to transfer the audio to new media before it will begin to shed again. I copy everything to computer hard drive, and then make CDs of the resulting .WAV files, as well as making audio CDs.

The link mentioned by larryboy is a good one, and is one source I used when planning my oven. Here's a link to my page regarding sticky shed. It contains a couple of other angles not covered by the other link.

HTH

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.