Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: CD to TAPE??? Yes ,,,,

For fear of sounding foolish to others, yes I do. I'd classify my system as mid level tube based (76/6SN7 CCS loaded linestage, 300B monoblocks, 6922 shunt reg'd phono pre with MC Stepups, etc) vinyl focused. I have several (4) 2-track RTR's and record vinyl @ 7.5 and 15ips. I use a Philips 963 (and an older 880 that weights 22 pounds ..) through a Benchmark DAC-1 for CD's. I have tried other outboard upsample DAC's, non up-sampling battery DAC's(diy), etc. To my (age 57) ears, in my system, CD's are harsh(er) and lack depth and dynamics vs my analog sources. So, for grins I ran a few test tracks from CD's through the Benchmark, into a dbx 222 noise reduction compander unit ($40 eBay find), onto Q456 using a setup Revox B77 1/4 track @7.5ips. I was very surprised how much more "listenable" the music became. Actually, I was floored. CD's that didn't let me 'feel' the music now involve me. Go figure .... so, yes, I now mix CD's to tape.

Looking hard at a AN DAC 2.1 that may convince me otherwise wrt CD's as source material ... we'll see ....

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: CD to TAPE??? Yes ,,,, - tubejack 06:26:12 10/28/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.