Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

I'm curious why you don't play many factory record RTRs on your deck?

I really love pre-recorded 7 1/2 IPS Reel to Reel especially those made in the 1950's - 1960's most of which are recorded in real time before high speed duplication began. Like RCA Living Stereo, Bel Canto, Mercury Living Presence, Audio Fidelity. These older tapes are acetate tapes and can break easy however they are likely be some of the best sounding recordings you will ever own. Just never FF or rewind and you will be fine.

In the late 1970's the companies switched to Polyester back-coated tapes and these can develop dreaded sticky-shed" syndrome and loss of lubricant, it is always a risk that any of these tapes can start squealing. I've only had two that squealed and there were bought off of eBay. One Barclay-Crocker and one London, both were Dolby encoded. Dolby encoding happened about the same time. If you never store you tapes in the basement and don’t live in a swamp you my be OK as I have never had a RTR develop squeaking after it got to my home.

At the risk of having you compete with me on eBay I would stick with the RTRs from the 1950's and 1960's and you will be set for some intense sonic thrills.

I’ve had excellent luck recording DVD-Audios to Reel to Reel.

"Music is love"
Teresa

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.