Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Which is best Revox B-215, Nakamichi Dragon,

HI All,
First post here.

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to put my .02 in. I owned the CR-7A for about 4 years. I had the opportunity to compare it against a for sale, used, mint Dragon in my system for an extended period of time. My system is extremely good at separating equipment it being Audio Research and Martin Logan CLS IIA (with subs) based.

I tested in two basic ways. 1) I listened to tapes made on the CR-7A on both machines. 2) I made tapes on each machine and compared the two. I used both conventional Maxell and Metal Maxell tapes. On both machines I preferred Metal tape and Dolby C. Both do Dolby C extremely well. I recorded both LP's and CD's.

The results were a close call but a consistent trend emerged. The CR-7A had a sharper (harsher?) high end while the Dragon was a bit more laid back. I don't think this difference was due to frequency response differences. Both seemed to have response from DC to Light. Rather, it was more like comparing a fine solid state amp to a fine tube amp. The Dragon seemed less grainy and smoother. Both dealt with level overloads quite well and about the same. I didn't hear any difference in the 0 VU calibration.

Wanting to nail down the high end, I used my good Tektronix test equipment (I used to own and operate a high end hi fi repair shop) to plot the frequency response at various input levels (reference level was -20 dB) with and without Dolby. The machines were virtually identical. I saw nothing in the results to account for the sonic differences. I concluded that, indeed, high frequency response was not the reason.

On the whole I preferred the Dragon sound. It brougnt me closer to the music. I can see how, in some systems, the more aggresive CR-7A would be the winner. In all other performance measures, both machines were simply outstanding.

Considering ergonomics, the CR-7A is hard to beat. Auto tape alignment and level adjust makes life easy. Also, it is a more modern machine and its human interface shows it. I liked the CR-7A VU display better especially the peak hold. But, while lacking that feature, the Dragon's display is still excellent and better than most other Nak's.

Considering the cosmetic design, I think nothing in the hi fi world compares to the Dragon. Of course, this is a personal preference. Only some B&O designs can compete. Whoever created the Dragon's physical appearance should be honored. I loved it when it came on the market and, all these years later, I still think it is unique and beautiful.

So, how did I jump? Well, I bought the Dragon and sold the CR-7A to a friend. I would have kept both if I could afford it. But I already had two other Nak three head machines. I really didn't need FOUR three head Nak's but I was tempted. As it was, I traded the machines for even money.

I don't think anyone would object if I call the Dragon a collectors item in its own lifetime. Is the CR-7A? Time will tell but I think the Dragon will always hold a special place in the hearts of all Nakamichi lovers. It does in mine. Even if the machines tested the same I would have bought the Dragon. The fact that I liked it better than one of the finest cassette tape machines ever seen, made the choice easy.

BTW, I still have my Dragon. It holds a special place in my equipment rack as the Queen of my system. It still works like new. I don't use it as much as before (you know, it's those damned CD's fault). It will never leave my sight. Quite simply, I love it.

Thanks, Sparky

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Which is best Revox B-215, Nakamichi Dragon, - Karma16 06:38:49 10/26/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.