Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

You are correct

I use ORTF as well as XY and A-B, and agree 100% with your assessment of them.

My comment about ORTF potentially being a little nebulous was only because he said would be recording in his living room. (And nebulous is probably not the right word.) If it's the size of a "typical" living room, I've found the XY approach to be a little more defined.

About a year ago, I did an experiment with a marimba in my living room (about 14x30 or so), using both XY and ORTF. The ORTF seemed less defined, which I attribute to the relatively small size of the room (and possibly on the limited options for placing a marimba in the room). Although, I do prefer ORTF over XY in most cases, "because" it's a little more spacious, but it just didn't feel "right" in the living room setting. That's all I'm sayin'.

I also like the A-B (widely spaced omnis) setup. There's a couple auditoriums around here which are a little dry, and that setup is perfect for a symphonic band or orchestra! BTW, my mics are switchable omni/cardioid Schoeps, and I love 'em. :)

What do you record to? I go to computer hard disk, generally using SoundForge.

youramerica.net

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • You are correct - Inmate51 11:15:47 10/21/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.