Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Playing lots of Cassettes on the Nakamichi and DVD-Audios as the RTR & turntable are out of commission & guess what

I like the cassettes much better than the DVD-Audios; they just sound more real and alive! Audiophile cassettes from the 1970’s are the best but many regular commercial cassettes also sound excellent. Nakamichi seems to be able to drain an amazing amount of resolution out pre-recorded cassettes. There is something that is missing even from 192kHz 24 Bit DVD-Audios that even the lowly cassette format does right. It’s like some kind of undiscovered Distortion digital has, Digital does sound much better after they discovered Jitter and then were able to lower it. But there is still something else that separates the flavors of analog and digital. What separates Cassette from Reel to Reel is resolution, impact, lack of compression, etc. I’m working on language to describe what digital does wrong.

I think part of what is missing from digital is the human quality, emotion etc. and not resolution. So I think improvement in Digital is going in the wrong direction. Any thoughts?

For music sources right now I have only had the Nakamichi cassette deck and the Toshiba DVD-Audio player as the Reel to Reel is still in the shop. And I am waiting for a new cartridge for my turntable as I accidentally destroyed my cantilever. I am shocked at how much more I enjoy pre-recorded cassettes over even the best DVD-Audios.

Some of the cassettes played in the past week include
MFSL High Fidelity Real Time duplicated on BASF chrome tape.
Cafe High Fidelity Real Time duplicated on BASF chrome tape.
Nakamichi Reference Recordings Real Time duplicated on TDK Metal tape from the Analog backup masters of Sheffield Lab Direct to Disc recordings.
Plus many excellent sounding regular commercial cassettes.

I also played the 2 channel mix of the DVD-Audio’s including AIX, Warner, etc. They do sound excellent but they do not satisfy the soul the way any analog format will.

The last week has been a revelation, as I knew LPs and Reel to Reels were superior to high-resolution digital but surely not cassettes! I was wrong, and digital still has a long ways to go.

"Analog is Music, Digital is mathematics"
Happy listening,
Teresa

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - Playing lots of Cassettes on the Nakamichi and DVD-Audios as the RTR & turntable are out of commission & guess what - Teresa 18:55:56 10/20/06 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.