Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Recording the violin

Hi, 3Fates:

I'm glad that you found the information useful!

As regards the other recommendation (using clip-on microphones), this can be astonishingly good and I am sorry that I completely forgot to mention this when I replied to your question earlier.

I own a pair of Len Moskowitz' CORE binaural clip-on mics, the ones which come with their own battery power supply box. I purchased them in 1995 right before I took a trip to Cairo, Egypt. I used the CORE mics with a Walkman Pro cassette machine to capture sounds as I walked around Cairo. You should hear those recordings! First of all, they are truly amazing sounding. With binaural technique, I was able to easily capture a virtual 360 degree surround effect of what was happening all around me. Of course, I wore the mics right on my eyeglasses everywhere I walked. Hardly anybody even noticed them, as I went about the city.

If you choose to try a pair with your equipment, please be aware that you will need to adapt the stereo mini plug to split into R and L inputs for your recorder. You also have to be VERY careful when using binaural clip-on microphones on your head so as not to move at all or the entire stereophonic (binaural) image will move dramatically as you do! This was not a problem when I walked around in Cairo, but it can lead to quite an unusual panoramic effect as the sound sources move radically about as you did when recording them, technically-speaking. There is no reason why you could not just mount these miniature microphones on either side of about a 6-7" foam sphere and emulate the shape of a human head. Sometimes, a baffle of some sort might improve the imaging. But wearing them and standing in an appropriate place in front of the violinist might work fine, just as long as one of you does not laugh out loud as this recording takes place!

Other than this, they are an excellent alternative to the big stuff.

As far as their ability to capture dynamics, that is a question that only you can determine through experimentation. One thing about the violin is that sometimes it is wise to elevate the recording microphones above the F-holes. Again, experimentation will yield the best results!

Good luck!

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Recording the violin - Marantzguy 10:34:06 10/20/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.