Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Your plan is far from being feasible. But... I want the same.

There are several issues:

Erase head may be only capable of erasing. I.E it can not record an acceptable signal.

Erase head is, in any case, mono, you probably want stereo.

Wires from the board to the heads are used both for applying a signal to the record head and to read from it. ¿How have you though dividing them?

Board sub-circuits are muted or enabled when recording or playing. There is no read (playback) and amplifying function when recording. So you can not process the signal from the playback head when recording.

BUT... I want to do a similar thing....
I want to convert one of my Tandberg 3034, which are a two head machines, into a three head units. With the schematics on my hand I plan to separate the ouput from the recording circuit from the input to the amplifying circuit. Each circuit will be conected to the recording head and to the playback. Now there is a rele that switches one or the other. I will bypass the rele.

I also, should activate the playing amplifier circuitery. Now when I record, it just outputs the input signal (amplified or attenuated with the 'record level' knob). I would like to monitorize the recording.

This may give you ideas. You should find the recording circuit output (to the head) and the playback circuit input. It should be discrete circuitery. You should use another head, identical to the one you've got. Remove the erase head and place your new recording head...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.