Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Tandberg TD20 SE guidance assistance

Taz,

As far as I can tell, your 20A is working normally.

Let's start off with some definitions - what you allude to as a deck that "can record in both directions" refers to an automatic reversing function that was incorporated into some machines equipped to play /record quarter track tapes continuously. Visualize the tape being divided into four continuous "tracks" numbered, from the top down, 1,2,3,4. The quarter track heads are manufactured so that they can record and record and play information on tracks 1 and 3 ONLY. So when you start recording information, it is recorded on tracks 1 and 3. When the tape runs out, you turn it over and continue recording on what is now, from the tape's perspective, tracks 2 and 4. The net effect is to be able to DOUBLE the record /playback TIME available on a given length of tape. If you could listen to all four tracks simultaneously in ONE DIRECTION, wou would therefore hear two tracks playing normally,and two tracks playing BACKWARDS.

"Auto reverse" decks were developed to take the bother out of having to take a quarter track tape off the machine after it has played through and reverse/remount/rethread it to play "the other side". To do this the mechanics had to be made bi-directional and the heads had to be able record and play all four tracks, when you get to the end of one side of the tape, the deck sensed the end and automatically reversed operation.

I am not aware that Tandberg ever made a deck with auto reverse capability, so in your case, when you turn the tape over you are simply hearing what you previously recorded playing backwards. You therefore have to rewind the tape after recording it to listen to it. I happen to always leave my tapes in an "as played" condition, so they do have to be rewound before every audition.

The fact that the 20A says "two track" on it also indicate to me that when you record, you do record two "sets of information" on the entire tape in one direction.

Hope this long-winded discussion helped.

Charles

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Tandberg TD20 SE guidance assistance - stellavox 04:36:34 10/09/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.