Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Thanks for the photos Doc, will this be coming out on your new 2 Track RTRs?

I can't say for sure if this session will end up being put out on tape. But I can say that it's composed of some very moving performances, and as I said it's been done all analog, straight through to the mix tape. That's the two top criteria for our selection process.

Regarding 7.5 ips - we're putting everything we have into the production of these tapes and accompanying playback equipment. For now we want to put our best foot forward quality-wise and stick with 15 ips, so that folks can really hear the difference it makes to listen to what we consider the best format available. IMO a 1/4 track 7.5 ips tape is slightly better than a top flight LP, while a 1/2 track 15 ips tape will just get up and walk away from vinyl.

I suspect that a person who is constrained by the cost of upgrading to a 15 ips machine may find that the price for a subscription is beyond a reasonable level as well. If you look at the cost of raw 10" tapes (two reels per album) and then consider license fees, packaging, paying the duping engineer, paying the rent, etc., etc....add to that the expense of putting together a duping facility of several ATRs and an estimated run of only 200 copies of each title...this becomes a very serious undertaking. We hope the effort will be appreciated enough by the audio community that they will go to some pains to use equipment capable of the best possible reproduction quality.

All that said, once we get the first year's subscription run complete we will probably have a lot better feel for the potential and we will be able to make a more informed judgment about offering the titles in formats other than 1/4" 15 ips 1/2 track. The first option would probably go in the other direction - custom 1/2" 15 ips 1/2 track dubs for those willing to "pay the rent" for our engineer to set up one of the slaves for 1/2" tape.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thanks for the photos Doc, will this be coming out on your new 2 Track RTRs? - Doc B. 07:42:13 09/27/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.