Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Unusual car deck

I picked up from Ebay an unusual Alpine car cassette deck (7375) that I have been coveting for years. The only reason I mention this is because it is a cassette changer, yes that's right, it is a cassette changer that mounts in your trunk and is controlled by a smallished DIN sized controller in the dash. It also has a cool dash mounted "index display" where you can insert index cards that tell you what tapes are in the changer at any given time and also what tape is playing (1-6).

This unit is real rare. I guess less that 100 were made because they came out right when Sony was introducing their CD changer. Oops. The other cool thing about it is that it has all 3 noise reduction systems, B,C, and DBX. There are little switches on the tape magazines that load into the changer where you choose the noise reduction method, not from the controller up front where it is customarily done.

It was also one of the first or close to that used fiber-optic cables. I am going to have it "tuned up" before I install it but hopefully I will get some pictures of it up on the web. I thought it would be of interest to you here since it is such a rarity. Anyone here remember when this was new?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Unusual car deck - doity 13:44:49 09/23/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.