Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

cassette ideas

I have owned two car cassette players that were noticeably better than the stock OEM players. One was a Nakamichi I bought in 1987. I don't recall the model #, but it had dolby B and C, but was a head unit only and required a separate power amplifier. The basic Nakamichi 4 channel amp was fine. This deck was unidirectional. As I recall it was quite a bit more for the auto-reverse version. I think I paid about $700 for the deck, amplifier, and installation. It worked flawlessly for 7 years and was working when I sold this car. I was tempted to remove it.

I also enjoyed a Sherwood cassette receiver bought in 1993 as a replacement for a Honda unit that died. It also had dolby B and C. It had a line input jack on the face (useful now for iPods). I think it was about $230 for a model change closeout unit including installation. It is still working, although the volume control is scratchy and intermittent. I bought a "new in box" replacement unit on eBay several years ago, but have not installed it as I don't drive this car much any more. I was very impressed with the build quality and sound from Sherwood equipment of this vintage. I didn't see any similar ones on eBay today.

rtbarr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • cassette ideas - rtbarr 22:53:28 09/20/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.