Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: What's causing sudden stopping on Record and Play?

That's an unusual problem. My first suspect would lie not in the tapes, but in the deck. But this seems to be eliminated as a possibility inasmuch as you stated it happens on deifferent machines. I'm assuming that the tape is not broken. The only other thing I could think of would be the pressure pad (or the clip it's attached to) being loose, askew, or broken. This would compromise the snugness of the contact between the tape and the heads, resulting in the intermittent performance you describe. Perhaps One other possibility is that the guides in the molding of the cassette shell itself is cracked or broken and you are experiencing severe azimuth errors. But if that was the case, you'd have some chewed up tape to show for it. I would check that out. Have you had to untangle any tape from the capstan? Frankly it wouldn't surprise me as the latest generation XLII's are, basically, junk. Try using some different brands of tapes and see if that doesn't fix the problem.

And if that isn't the culrpit, then I have no idea what's causing your problem.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.