Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Tandberg VU meters needed...

Hi, stickwork:

It sounds to me like those technicians did not know what they were talking about in this case.

Some suggestions:

Some meter movements in SOME decks exhibit this problem not because the movement is broken, but because paint on the needle has rubbed off, become flakey or disintegrated and is directly responsible for the problem you described.

I cannot speak for Tandberg items, but if the deck you own was similar to a 3034 and I once had, my machine was manufactured in Malasia, I believe. Who knows precisely where the actual meters were manufactured, but if they came from Japan, observe the following procedure:

Open up the meter by removing the front plastic piece and after inspection, if you see any debris inside, gently tip the meter over and tap on the back to dislodge particles. NEVER EVER BLOW COMPRESSED AIR IN A METER OR YOU WILL DAMAGE THE MOVEMENT. I re-worked a whole bunch of meters on my Yamaha CT-7000 FM tuners which had this problem and after cleaning and repainting the needles, they were perfectly fine.

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.