Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

I own...

Nak 682ZX. These series (6xx) are a truly good compromise, and some Nak people believe they are the best ones to buy on line ebay etc. The bass extension is the lowest of all cassette decks on the 660 and 670's but the 680 series are a better deck (more modern, usually have the lighted VU's not mechanical ones, etc.). They go for under $350-400 most of the time.

I also have a Tandberg TCD 310 and a Aiwa AD F660 both in the garage needing maintenance. May just be belts. I used the Aiwa to make cassettes for others, because Nakamichi made cassettes won't sound properly equ'ed in the car and with their lower end decks. I now have a functional Sony 435 dual deck for that purpose.

The Naks have their sound. I got a 480 which was bad and returned to the ebay seller with refund and it sounded great for the 10 or so minutes it worked (repairable). I got a 660ZX for my brother for under $80 on one of the auctioneer consignment ebay sites, and it has a bad right channel meter, yet it is a very good deck. Sounds almost as good as my master deck, interchanges tapes perfectly and plays pre recorded tapes beautifully. He wanted to try one and is Happy.

These are my experiences. Cassette is a great medium if you are willing to maintain your deck and fool around a bit. Good luck with your Tandbergs and if you ever get a Revox.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I own... - docw 09:45:58 09/11/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.