Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

I'm Getting Sick & Tired of this Cassette Bashing Around Here.

There's been too much of it going on around here lately...
Here's a couple of points:

On quite a number of occasions, I have made tapes from LPs for people (they usually no longer have turntables), who, after playing the said given tape, tell me "I can't believe how good that tape sounds. It sounds way better than my CDs. What gives??"

The real reason is, with a pretty good tape deck (it doesn't have to be a Nak, but reasonably good), a good phono stage & turntable, you can make an excellent sounding tape---which, most importantly, can be played with excellent sound on even a mediocre tape deck.

A well recorded cassette tape replayed on an average tape deck will sound better than an good sounding CD played on a $200-500 CD player.
Period. I have yet to a hear a CD player in this price range to beat the sound of a tape deck...recorded from a good deck & source.

R2R is certainly better than cassette...but the most amazing thing about cassette was what it ended up being capable of doing...but was never intended to do...cassette was designed as a compact, easy to use method to record voice...it was never intended to record music when it was developed.

Put simply: Cassette in the end greatly exceeded what it was originally designed to be able to do...compared to CD, which has never lived up to what it was originally claimed to be able to do (you know, "perfect sound forever").

Anyway, my 2 cents worth from an analogue type.

Regards,
Grant.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - I'm Getting Sick & Tired of this Cassette Bashing Around Here. - Grant99 18:36:08 09/08/06 (29)

You can not post to an archived thread.