Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Europe and USSR

I addition to american "standarts" on 3, 5, 7 and 10 1/2 inches, which are designed for tape length twice increasing/decreasing from format to format, in Europe and USSR "half formats" were as popular as "standarts".

4-inch reels were the must for pre-recorded tapes in UK and used instead of 3-inch reels in smaller battery machines everywhere except for Germany (UK, Italy, Hungary, USSR at least), while 3-inch reels were exotic.

5 3/4 inch reels were the main standart for 3 3/4 ips machines in 50s-60s in Germany and in 60s-70s in USSR, even more popular than 7 inch reels.

Speaking of 8 1/4 inch reels, I can regard older pioneer 1-track (rarely 2-track) machines for householdings which appeared in the early 50s and in 60s were already scrappy old. Countries - Germany and USSR also. Reels contained 500m of a standart tape and disappeared from USSR and German stocks in 1964 or 1965. They returned only in 80s for hi-end machines in USSR, Germany and Japan, so, while almost all hi-end tape-recorders were designed for using such 22cm reels, tape on them appeared too rarely on stocks (usually 700, 720 or 750m of LP tape), while 7-inch shape was dominant. I've never seen them (8 1/4) after 1992

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Europe and USSR - Ziggy_N 08:52:55 08/28/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.