Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Tape Transcription

Hello,
I'm looking for a suitable quarter-inch machine to transfer my collection of reels to CD. I have a dozen or so that were recorded in the 1950's and a few more from the 80's. All were in good condition when last inspected about three years ago.

Two machines I am considering are the Revox B77 and Technics 15xx series. The latter is appealing for its dual quarter and half-track capability (as I have a mixture of track formats) although I would be happy to purchase two separate machines if it meant an improvement in reproduction.

The tape contents comprise almost entirely mono speech recordings made at 3.75 ips. Despite the primitive nature of the equipment and recording environment the tapes are of great sentimental value and I am keen to get the best out of them.

I can imagine that the most suitable machine varies depending on the type of audio (musical genre, speech etc) and would be interested to hear any opinions on which machine would give the best results with these type of recordings. I wouldn't want to use it for recording, only reproduction, and cosmetics size and weight are unimportant.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Tape Transcription - The Riddler 10:33:48 08/15/06 (8)

You can not post to an archived thread.