Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Re: Tandberg CASSETTE issues...

I feel your pain....

I had a TCD340A that was a bear to get apart & work on. Nobody else wanted to touch it either. I finally did get it properly repaired after finding a Xerox copy of the service manual in an unpronouncable German hamlet & waiting 6 months for it. Then I sold the deck. Super-nice machine, though.

If you can get the pinch roller out, it would probably be better to do it that way, provided you are confident you can put it back together. I've got some rubber cleaner/rejuvenator stuff that has worked wonders for idlers & even fixed some belts, so it very possibly might take care of your problem.

When you use it, you'll want to clean it with a somewhat rough cloth. Keep rotating the cloth to a clean spot until the black crud stops coming off onto the cloth, or is at least to a minimum. Then you'll know you've got the nasty dry stuff on the outside cleaned off & it should be ok. When it's clean, the rubber should look uniformly dull. Let the roller dry thoroughly before playing a tape & try to avoid touching the flat surface with your fingers. OR wear latex gloves or clean your fingertips first with denatured alcohol to dry out the skin oil.

While you're in there, you might as well clean everything else.

Good luck!
Bobbo :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.