In Reply to: I know what you mean... posted by kootenay on December 1, 2016 at 12:07:53:
I found a guy, locally, who repairs cassette decks. I took my JVC in to him. He's checking it out. If it's repairable, I go with that. If it's not, there's a Marantz 5025 or a Marantz 5020 available on Ebay. He likes to work on Marantz, and has parts sources. He said the Tascams, Revox, and Nakamichis are usually so worn out from professional use, it would cost an arm and a leg just to get them to work.
According to the other tech, who wrote up my order, this guy has been in the business since he was 15, and he's older than I am. More than half a century fixing TVs, radios, tape decks, and other home electronics. He still works on tube TVs!
My next door neighbor is a professional machinist. He makes dies for the plastic industry. He's very dependent on his old EDM machine. He just had to swap out boards in the controller/power supply. I'm telling him about this guy. He can take the bad board in to him to get the blown transistors replaced.
My Sansui 8 Deluxe has not been serviced in over 20 years. Maybe I should consider having it done(?)
This whole process has been a wonderful process of discovery. Amazing what you find in your own environment.
Thank you all for your help in this.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Need Advice on Cassette Deck Brand - firstname.lastname@example.org 15:17:27 11/29/16 (17)
- RE: Need Advice on Cassette Deck Brand - gordguide 13:47:34 01/13/17 (0)
- RE: Need Advice on Cassette Deck Brand - gordguide 13:34:19 01/13/17 (0)
- RE: Need Advice on Cassette Deck Brand - gordguide 13:20:24 01/13/17 (0)
- If it were me, I'd consider ... - Dave Pogue 13:55:36 11/30/16 (13)
- I have all these 3 machines... - kootenay 14:30:14 11/30/16 (12)
- Like you say ... - Dave Pogue 17:08:50 11/30/16 (9)
- As the matter of fact... - kootenay 18:51:32 11/30/16 (8)
- RE: As the matter of fact... - buffumjr 04:27:19 12/01/16 (7)
- Thanks... - kootenay 07:07:46 12/01/16 (6)
- RE: Thanks... - buffumjr 07:59:35 12/01/16 (5)
- RE: I have all these 3 machines... - buffumjr 14:50:26 11/30/16 (1)
- I am amazed thet there is no mention of the NAD - 6300. - kavakidd 15:50:38 12/01/16 (0)
- RE: I know what you mean... - buffumjr 05:32:52 12/03/16 (0)