Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

How about a listing of the tape decks we've owned?

The Viking thread encouraged this. My own saga starts in the mid 1950s and continues today. Big time. In order, with comments. "*" means I still own it.

* Revere T700D, 2-track mono. This was in pre-stereo days.
* Viking 88, as noted below, my first stereo deck, tubed.
* Magnecord 1020, one of whose features was that it took 8 1/4" reels (try to find one).
* Teac 3300SX, a quality machine, first one I owned that could take large reels.
* Teac X1000R, bought new in 1984 out of the trunk of a car in the NSA parking lot, from a GI who had bought it in an Okinawa PX for resale when he returned stateside. True story.
* Teac A2300SD* (Dolby), bought to play my Barclay-Crocker tapes after 3 or 4 outboard Dolby units (Teac and Nakamichi) proved deficient or died outright.
* Otari MX5050 BII-2*, an outstanding deck with great sonics, made greater by modding to accept a deHaviland 222 tubed tapehead preamp.
* Revox A77 Mk. IV Dolby, an utter disaster/lemon (caps exploded, caught on fire), bought to replace the Teac A2300SD, which I bought back after giving up on the Revox.

Most recent tape purchase, a supposed "safety master" of a Chet Baker trio album that competes for best-sounding tape in my collection.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - How about a listing of the tape decks we've owned? - Dave Pogue 05:44:20 06/07/16 (28)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.