Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Well, piffle, meter lamps are the least of my problems.

An update on my lamp post (no, that isn't a euphemism): measured volts across the lamps is 9.7, haven't found any, but no worries there now.

It seems the Akai transistor problem mentioned in in other posts has hit. There is just hiss and a tiny bit of music in reverse playback. Forward still sounds okay.

A repair shop fifty miles down the road has given estimate of $600 to go through the deck. That includes all new transistors in the amplifier section, mechanical tune up, and bringing everything electrical up to factory specifications.

Pros for keeping it: (1 I like it. (2 If I do have it repaired I'll have a total of $600 invested. It was given to me rather than toss it in the dump.

Cons: $600 is a bunch of money for us.

So what are the opinions out there? Is an Akai GX636 worth investing $600? Or would it be better to invest that kind of money in a different deck?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - Well, piffle, meter lamps are the least of my problems. - DRam 17:30:51 01/26/16 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.