Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Tape Is Anything But Dead...

At this point I think the studios are the only serious force in keeping reel tape alive. They are the driving market for providing any kind of new production media. Watching Quantegy(Ampex) take over production for from Scotch-3M, having the US market nearly to themselves and still going out of business (twice, I think) has been pretty disappointing. Even the progression in Europe from BASF to EMTEC to RMGI to Pyral shows that the market is a pretty tough one.

The two most interesting things I've seen in the last several years has been the start-ups of ATR tape products and the Tape Project offerings. That either of these ever got off the ground is, to me, pretty phenomenal.

As far as 1/4 track consumer-grade stuff, I think that's as you described high-end cassette: "a small but dedicated loyal following". True, there's a lot of vigorous activity on Ebay, but it's really just trading a finite and slowly shrinking set of hardware & software. Vinyl has the advantage of new manufacture hardware, new releases and some level of affordability. Not so with tape.
ljb

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tape Is Anything But Dead... - ljb1 20:38:45 11/19/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.