Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

Buying & maintaining a vintage cassette deck--Nakamichi? BX-300? Or?

I want to get another high quality 3-head cassette deck. I'd once considered a Tascam 122--they're really big and heavy (?) from what I recall; a minus for me. I guess I could look into Revox?

But I owned a BX-300 that I bought new in the early 1980's, & loved it, until it broke in the mid-'90's, had it fixed, then a couple of years later it needed another repair, & I sold it "as-is" on fee-bay. BTW--it cost $582 new back then--I still remember that--a lot for a musician & grad student. I just looked up the current value of $582 then--$1389!

Besides the sound quality, one of the things I liked about the BX-300 was it's compact quality. It wouldn't cost a fortune to ship if I needed repairs. And it was easy to move from system to system in my house if I wanted. Also Headphone out, & pitch control which can be great for musicians.

I'm mostly non-technical as far as trying to do repairs myself; but I looked online & found this place Electronics Service Labs in CT that might be good? Seemed like they really wanted to do extensive refurbishing of cassette decks instead of just repairs tho maybe.

There's a nice-looking BX-300 for auction on e-bay now starting at $175. It looks near-mint, & owner says everything works. And was stored for 15 years (hopefully not in his attic!), but probably means it has less wear & tear (?). I figure it might be worth about $200, tops, from looking up what nice ones sell for?

I remember the BX-300 box as not being that impressive, so if I get I I'd hope it'd survive the 1000 or so miles by UPS ground, being thrown around by them, etc. But I don't know if internal parts might get thrown out of wack?

Anything I'm missing? Any advice? And I'm open to other suggestions; esp. if I don't win the auction for this one. TIA!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Buying & maintaining a vintage cassette deck--Nakamichi? BX-300? Or? - WoodyWW 07:34:37 10/18/14 (10)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.