Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: "Starter Deck"

I owned an X-1000R too. My tech at that time, who also worked on the older Teac A2300SD, said the X-1000R was not as well built as the older Teac. It certainly didn't sound any better, or as good. My Revox was a comedy of errors. Three trips to my current tech who keeps the Otari and older Teac in shape, first for the exploding caps, then for the fire it had, then to see if he couldn't, somehow, make it sound at least as good as that Teac.

The whole idea had been to replace the older Teac with the Revox, and the more he and I tried to make that happen, the less it seemed likely until I finally bit the bullet and gave up on it after spending real close to $1K on it. When I did give up, it had pristine heads, a new pinch roller, new lights (without which its end-of-tape stop doesn't work). It never equalled the Teac A2300SD sonically (both were Dolby decks, by the way) and never came within light years of sounding as good as my Otari. I've never been so frustrated with a piece of gear in my life.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "Starter Deck" - Dave Pogue 16:43:06 09/27/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.