Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: Tape Preamps...why?

There is a "sonic bottleneck" in most stock commercial and many professional tape transports - and it is in the playback preamplifier stage. The reasons include the switching devices necessary to implement various equalization networks. I'd also state that because the the last tape decks were designed 30 years ago, the electronics (good as a lot of them were) have not "kept pace" with circuit and component improvements since then.

Mark Levinson noticed this in the late (19)90's and offered an "audiophile" tape (head input) module for his Audio Suite that was adopted by a number of recording studios.

I opine that everyone today who has actually A/B'ed an outboard pre versus stock tape electronics will agree that there is a large improvement in the sound. Tape heads can sound different also. Interestingly, I (and others) have found that a lot of decks also make much better recordings than they play back.

Charles

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tape Preamps...why? - stellavox 05:23:27 09/25/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.