Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: What the heck?

Hey, that's a great pic! Almost artsy. I might just frame it and hang it on the wall. ;)

The first thing which struck me is that, in addition to the expected chaotic disorder, there are "lines" of the stuff. Very interesting. It's as if the tape was pulled over a contaminated surface, such as a rotating tape guide or pinch roller.

Yeah, get it checked. It could be an issue, or it could be no worries. It's always best to know for sure. Google "mold testing lab". The place I used several years ago was Moldlab. They're local to me. The girl who owns it drove a yellow Honda S2000. But I digress. I think it was like fifty or a hundred dollars (back then) to check a sample of black mold from under the kitchen sink. It turned out to be a benign non-hazardous variety (as is often the case) - typical household moisture-loving mold.

Here's the thing: If it's not mold, and is just some misc crap that doesn't grow, you can run the tape (I'm simplifying here) through a "lint-free" cloth and then you've got some nice tape and nice reels (assuming they don't also have "sticky shed"). If it's mold, put 'em all (not your machine!) in the dumpster, and you've got some cleaning to do.

Have a nice vacation!

Later,

Dave
www.youramerica.net

:)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What the heck? - Inmate51 03:04:03 06/17/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.