Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: What to do with Revox B77 MKll

You won't be able to get rid of the smoke smell, since it's not only on the outside, it's on the inside as well.

With regard to cleaning the grunge off, I would try a little Windex. Spray it on a white cloth (not colored!) and try it in an obscure area before doing the face and knobs, etc. If it takes off the finish, then try a little liquid dish soap in water, again with a white cloth. Be sure to rinse a couple times with plain water to remove any soap residue. You can do this easily by taking the machines out onto the patio and just hose them off. (Kidding!)

But the first thing you'll want to do is see if they work. It seems to me that they use a special power connector (my A77 does). If so, you can rig up a temporary pigtail by wrapping bare leads around the prongs, and terminating the other end with a standard AC plug (male) that you can connect to any handy extension cord. This is actually fairly easy: Just get one of those cheap 6 foot extension cords, cut off the female end, unzip a foot or so, and strip enough of it to wrap around the prongs a few times.

Obviously, use care and caution when wrapping those prongs! Put some electrical tape over them to ensure that no stray strands contact from one lead to the other.

What do I win? A B77?

:)

There is another issue: Condition of the heads. Coming out of a radio station, I'd expect that they're pretty worn, so there may be a fairly expensive refurbishment in their futures. Also, the record and playback amp cards will probably need some new capacitors, especially if these machines have been sitting unused for a long time, which is often the case, since most stations haven't used reel-to-reel tape in YEARS.

Once you've invested about $1,000 into each one and they're good to go, list them on eBay. You'll easily get $500 apiece. ;)

Actually, I'd be interested in one or both machines if the price is right, even if they don't work. It'd be cool just have it to look at.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What to do with Revox B77 MKll - Inmate51 08:42:04 02/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.