Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

RE: RevoxA77 take up reel wont turn-HELP

Hi, Harry:

Sounds to me like a situation where the brake band on that reel platform has seized. It happens a lot on older ReVox A-77s. Even ReVox recommended disassembly to remove the reel hub itself (held by three screws from the top of the reel platform itself). You have to remove the entire top plate to do the rest, but that is not difficult at all.

So, pop off the top upper plate, loosen and remove the three or more screws which hold down the problematic reel platter, expand the metal brake band and clean the metal surface on the band. Remove the entire reel platform and brake band. Take the brake portion of the reel platform, sometimes covered in a white or grayish-white fabric, and clean it carefully with denatured alcohol, let dry.

The original adhesive which binds the fabric to the brake hub often times gets sticky or just ooses gunk which causes it to seize against the brake band.

Consult the web for further information regarding BAKING the brake hub at a particular temperature in a toaster oven (a CLEAN toaster oven, please!) for the recommended time. Let cool down, reassemble and try again to see if it does not seize to the brake band.

Richard Links
Berkeley, CA

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.