Home Tape Trail

Reel to reel, cassette and other analogue tape formats.

AKAI GX650D and Tape squeal

I had a tape making a squealing noise (it's my one and only TDK Low noise on 10.5" reel- I'm a big fan of Maxell UD35-180's)

Anyway, it sounded like it came from the tape guide near the right pinch roller (the 650D has dual capstans). I rotated the roller, as the AKAI service dept in Compton did a few years ago, so as to get a non-worn spot to the tape. I did not change the alignment, as according to the manual,alignment is maintained by a spring, and you turn a nut to align.

Squeal is still there. Also, if I disturb the tape, between the right capstan/roller and tape guide, it will "twist" a bit, and get misaligned. This only happens on this TDK LX35-180. My other 30 or so reels of Maxell UD35-180s don't suffer from this. Even if I try to disturb the tape path with my finger, it recovers with the Maxells. I tossed out reels of AMPEX 456, when they gummed up my other machine
(Otari MX5050BII2)

So, my questions: Is this a sign of worn out rollers? Or just one lousy tape? AKAI had this machine back in 1985, for servicing. They replaced the rollers (and gave me back the old ones). Does anyone make replacement rollers? How about capstan belts? I believe there's a belt for the index counter too.

I'm the original owner, and this machine has been very reliable.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - AKAI GX650D and Tape squeal - tom418 12:44:32 11/28/11 (4)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.