Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Speaker hum from Aquarium flourescents.

I have significant speaker hum when switching sources on my Onkyo TX-NR709 receiver to the TV/CD analog inputs that I am using as inputs for my Rega RP1 turntable which is routed through a Musical Fidelity V-LPSII preamp powered by MF's V-PSUII power supply. The higher end AudioQuest RCA output cables from the preamp are connected to the TV/CD analog inputs on the receiver. There is a 55 gallon aquarium next to the component stand that houses my turntable which in turn sits next to the cabinet that houses the rest of my components...all within a span of about 12 feet in width. The aquarium lights are on a separate power circuit than my Panamax 5100 power conditioner, from which all components are powered. There is an AudioPrism Quietline noise filter plugged in next to the Panamax power conditioner plug at the wall outlet. When I turn the lights off, the hum stops. There are two flourescent fixtures with ballasts in the aquarium lid. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? Would a flourescent fixture that does not require a ballast solve the problem?

Thanks for any help.
jerrygp1 Posts: 2Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 am

Jerry P.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Speaker hum from Aquarium flourescents. - jerrygp 15:09:26 06/09/12 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.