Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Ultrasound Playback on Commercial Sound Card

Hello everyone,
I am hoping someone can help me with the following problem. I have an Asus Xonar sound card which can handle sampling rates of 192kHz @ 24bits. I assumed that it could then play back sounds up to ~90kHz if I used speakers capable of these frequencies. Apparently this is not the case. From what I have found out, all commercial sound cards come with some sort of low pass or band pass filter which filters out all frequencies above ~20kHz. After testing, it appears this card does not have a simple passive filter but probably some type of digital filter or active filter. Does anyone know of a way to disable this filter? I am hoping it is a physical component on the sound card board which I can bypass or de-solder. Or if there is another sound card which is 5.1 or 7.1, supports openAL, and can play ultrasound frequencies, that would be great too. Any help would be great!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Ultrasound Playback on Commercial Sound Card - dbaharoni@gmail.com 11:05:23 01/24/11 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.