Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

RE: caps

Danny, I am sorry no one has responded to your post yet. This area doesn't seem to get much traffic. While I never worked as an audio tech, I have worked as a tech in other areas of electronics and audio has been a hobby for several decades.

First off, are you referring to a cap in the crossover network of an OHM model 6 speaker? I am not familiar with that speaker, so I can only give some general guide lines. You are matching the voltage rating, so that is a good thing. (For safety reasons, you ALWAYS want the same or somewhat higher voltage rating on the replacement cap or bad things happen.) Changing the value of a cap in a crossover network will change the frequency range for the driver with which that cap is associated. That being said, your ears may not be able to hear the difference. Depending on the tolerance of your 8uf cap, it might be plus or minus 20%, so it could be anywhere from 6.4uf to 9.6uf. Your 10uf cap could be from 8uf to 12uf. It is possible for the 10uf cap to be closer to the "design value" than the original cap. Also be aware that you MUST match the type of cap as to whether it is polarized or non-polarized. (Another "bad things happen" situation.)

So, if you can't find a 8uf 50vdc cap, or two 4uf caps in parallel, I would go ahead and try the 10uf and then trust my ears.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: caps - headphonejack 11:51:24 05/16/10 (1)
    • RE: caps - dstaff8321 12:57:20 05/16/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.