Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

The Tripath test

I hooked the left speaker up to a Charlize Tripath amplifier. The Charlize is totally off the ac grid, and powered with an Optima car battery. Its inputs left disconnected.

Then I turned on the PurePower APS.

Surprisingly, I could hear the sonic signature of the PurePower through the left speaker once again. I have linked the sound file in a previous post, but I will simply describe it as cicadas / crickets at night.

The only known paths of contamination in this instance would be airborne via the speaker wires, or the open RCA inputs.

The RCA jacks on this Charlize were Neutrik-type plastic connectors. Depending on how I oriented these RCA input wires, and which center connectors I touched, I could cause the cricket sound to stop.

The RCA caps I've ordered are the Isoclean with removable shorting pin. Therefore, I can short the preamp's inputs, and also cap the tape and main2 outputs without shorting them. They shipped today so I should know soon whether open RCA inputs are what is picking up airborne regenerator noise.

Edits: 10/26/09 10/26/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • The Tripath test - Adriel 16:52:37 10/26/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.