Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Sometimes...

Going from 14-2 solid copper household wire to old Monster Powerline 2 wires on a 15-foot speaker run gave a slightly reduced sense of grunge. Nothing dramatic, but most everyone heard it, or thought they did.

I have not heard anything dramatic on 1 meter IC runs, except for the real cheapie (mass market) stuff, and suspect the connectors are the big difference there. Would be interesting to put decent connectors on those cheapie wires and see...

I've also heard dramatic improvements from cleaning RCA and speaker connectors - **really** dramatic. A system I put together for a friend gradually got dull and lifeless, and cleaning the connectors brought it all back in a BIG way.

I have a 9-foot set of ICs from my preamp to monoblocks, and found the Venhaus DIY silver ICs blew away Cardas quadlink - that *was* dramatic, and everyone hears it.

So it depends. Connectors, I think, are always important, and there is a big improvement to be had by every physical connector you can get rid of by hard-wiring. Wire itself *can* be important, particularly on long runs, and particularly if you watch capacitance and shielding, each of which can be important in certain installations and environments.

WW

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Sometimes... - Bill Way 11:44:12 09/05/09 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.