Home Tech Square

Technical and speculative discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Forrest Mimms?

I would recommend solderless bread boards and an old copy of one of Forrest Mimms Engineer Notebooks.

For one breadboard are still the standard for prototyping and it's a good skill to learn. Plus they will get hands on with the parts.
Radio Shack USED to have the manuals for their electronics kit that used a bread board for download, but they do not any more.
I will look and see if I still have the PDF files.

When I was in high school we built simple single transistor circuits by first gluing the schematic on a 4x4 piece of wood. Then small copper coated nails were tapped in at the junctions. Passives like resistors, caps, and wires were soldered nail to nail, transistors were on little PCB's with three wires so you did not have worry about soldering them.

The common things like power supply, speakers, lamps or whatever were all prewired with alligator clips so we could just hook them up and go when we were ready.

This was fun and we learned soldering, schematics, component identification, and troubleshooting all at the same time

Edits: 05/11/09

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.